Kaleidoscope Creations

thecutstudio @ gmail . com

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Decorating with iris pods

I came up this great idea for Christmas decorating. Last year I had cut some branches with berries on them but as they dried, the berries shriveled up and started falling off. So I thought this year I will cut some dried iris pods from my yard and paint them red. Here's the dried pods. Many of them have double heads. 

  

And so I have painted them red. I also painted on a bit of glitter. I wanted it subtle, not all-out glittered. I wanted to add them with some green branches for a vase. However, I've been to Michaels and JoAnn and neither has some good, plain ol' Christmas greens. Just some nice pine stems. But all they have is glittered or frosted. I ended settling on a eucalyptus bunch but it's not quite the look I was going for.  

 I may still try doing gold-painted bare branches and see if I like it better. Of course, part of me is saying don't even bother because if I don't like it any better I'd have to rearrange this all over again.

1 comment:

Chris said...

It's such a lovely red, I like it with the green, it's bright and happy.