Kaleidoscope Creations

thecutstudio @ gmail . com

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pumquash pie

Last night I tried to see if I could similate an apple pie with the pumquash. It has a pretty firm texture when raw so I thought it might work. As I said before, I don't think it has much flavor. So I added a tablespoon of lemon juice to give it some tartness. And then followed the apple pie recipe. Well, it was different. Not great but not that bad. My son actually ate a second piece. Pardon my unpretty crust edge. The pastry was not cooperating so I just used a fork

4 comments:

pamark1 said...

So, would you do this again? I think it was a neat experiment and I hope I can do it with my kids this summer.

Tam said...

I'll send you some seeds (from the same batch I planted this year - I don't think I'm going to save any from these.) Then you won't have to wait a whole year for results - but you could still make your own experiment with 2 plants. Just remember what you pollinated. I only had the one pumpkin (hence my desperation for pollination last year. LOL)
I'm not sure. As a pie - eh, it was just about okay. As in, it wasn't that bad. My son is actually eating. LOL But sometimes I can taste a hint of summer squash. I haven't tried it as a veggie - and no one else will eat it like that.

Saints Rule! said...

Wow Tam! You are more brave than me! Fruits and vegetables make me fun in terror... lol... What are you talking about your crust?? It looks amazing!!

Chris said...

If it were about looks, your pie looks really delish, and I agree about your crust - it looks good from here too!